Back to Support

Support - Getting Started: How do I get an EIN (non-US taxpayer) ?


Diana Trujillo

Updated 29 June 2022

  • If you do have a US taxpayer ID and US address, please visit this article that explains how to get an EIN as a US founder.

Applying for an EIN as a non-US founder may take up 2-4 weeks, depending on the backlog at the IRS.

To apply, you’ll need to fill out two forms: the SS-4 form and the 8821 form. Instructions on how to answer both forms can be found also on the IRS website:

Instructions for Form SS-4

Instructions for Form 8821

As a Capbase user, we can help guide you through filling out the necessary forms and filing on your behalf with the IRS. For this, please reach out to our support through live chat or via email at so we can share these forms via HelloSign and guide you through the next steps.

Once we receive your EIN Letter, you'll be able to set up your company's bank account and credit card(s). The EIN letter will be located in the Compliance Calendar in the left sidebar under Past Filings.

If you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our support team through live chat or via email at

Contact us

If you cannot find the answer to your question, you can always contact us.

Let's chat now
70DD47AF-6E00-4752-8F1A-CE558BE05ECDCreated with sketchtool.
Email us at
70DD47AF-6E00-4752-8F1A-CE558BE05ECDCreated with sketchtool.