The best podcast for entrepreneurs.
Henrik Werdelin: Building BARK, from an idea to IPO
Henrik Werdelin is a serial entrepreneur and author, who co-founded BarkBox, a subscription-based service providing a monthly box of treats and toys for dogs.
About This Episode
Henrik Werdelin is a serial entrepreneur and author, who co-founded BarkBox, a subscription-based service providing monthly box of treats and toys for dogs. BarkBox is now called BARK and it is a publicly trading company, after its IPO in June of 2021. Henrik has also started Prehype, a collective of entrepreneurs that builds products and companies through collaboration with corporations and VCs.
In our conversation with Henrik, we talk about:
- Founding story and the early days of BarkBox
- Meeting his co-founder for BarkBox on a cruise ship
- The initial strategy for growing BarkBox
- Raising capital in the begininng of twenty-tens
- Investability of subscription-based e-commerce businesses
- Creative marketing and 4/20 promotions
- Best dog companion for a founder
- Role distribution and equity splits in the beginning of BarkBox
- Increase of startups targeting the pet market
- Henrik’s book “The Acorn Method”
- Importance of physical exercise when you’re a founder building a startup
- Hiring in the early days of a startup
- Traits of a good startup employee
- Differences in attitude between US and European startup scenes
- BarBox turning into BARK and the future of the company after IPO
Follow Henrik 👉 https://www.linkedin.com/in/werdelin
BARK 👉 https://twitter.com/barkbox ; https://bark.co/
Follow Greg 👉 https://www.linkedin.com/in/miaskiewicz/
Subscribe to our YouTube channel 👉 https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPH9V1NmTSFa0pYotiPVKQ
Sophia Yen is the CEO and co-founder of Pandia Health, a women-founded and women-led birth control delivery company. Pandia partners with pharmacies and doctors who specialize in women’s health to bring convenient, dignified and stress-free ways of accessing telehealth services.
Ashley Etling is the CEO and co-founder of LimeLoop, a smart shipping platform building reusable packaging and sustainable logistics solutions.
Jill Koziol is the CEO and co-founder of Motherly, an educational platform and lifestyle brand redefining motherhood. Motherly’s goal is building a movement helping women across the world thrive as mothers and make the most of their parenting experience.